News dalla rete ITA

7 Maggio 2019

Cisgiordania/Striscia di Gaza

WOOD AND FURNITURE SECTOR IN GAZA

The furniture sector in Gaza is one of the oldest in the region and has been historically focused in Gaza for more than 65 years. The furniture sector is the second largest industrial sector in the Gaza Strip. Before the blockade, the furniture sector had 600 industrial establishments employing about 6,500 workers. Its contribution to GDP and the Palestinian industrial sector reached 2% and 12%, respectively. In 2000, energy efficiency was 65% and the sector accounted for 5% of the total workforce. The percentage of sales in the West Bank and Israel accounted for about 20% of the total annual production of the sector, while the remaining 80% went to the domestic market. Between 2005 and 2007, about 75% of the total annual production was directed to the West Bank markets and Israeli markets. In fact, most of the sector's exports to Israel have been re-exported to other countries. Due to the blockade of the Gaza Strip there has been a severe shortage of raw materials and this resulted in the temporary or permanent closure of 85% of the factories. The operational capacity of the business enterprises has fallen to 20%. By 2008, the number of wage workers in the furniture industry in Gaza was 170 out of a total of 6,500 in the sector. The furniture sector currently consists of about 82 companies employing 1,584 workers in Gaza. (ICE AMMAN)


Fonte notizia: Business Palestina