Italian Culinary Week 2019 events by the Italian Trade Agency (ITA), Amman Office
In celebration of the Italian Culinary Week in the World 2019 (Settimana della Cucina Italiana nel Mondo), the Italian Trade Agency in Amman (ITA Amman) organized several initiatives that focused on the Italian culinary traditions. To ensure that the events are a memorable experience, ITA Amman flew in two Italian chefs from Tuscany and Rome to conduct culinary courses for future professional chefs, as well as gala dinners featuring staple Italian dishes from Tuscany and Italy, among other exciting events marking the occasion.
The Italian Culinary Week is a worldwide event launched by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, through its embassies in different countries including the Italian Embassy in Amman.
Principal partner: Italian Chef Academy/Associazione Italiana Chef, Chef Giancarlo Francia, the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts in Amman (RACA), and major role players in the food sector in Amman. This edition will focus on the importance of ingredients in the Italian culinary world, the “Excellence of Authentic Italian Ingredients” to importers and distributors of Italian products, buyers and executive chefs from the most important restaurants and hotels in the capital, gaining awareness about the value of Italian products and DOP, IGP products.
Activities Program for the edition 2019
The program proposed a continuing collaboration with the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts in Amman (RACA), the Italian Embassy in Amman, the general consulate in Jerusalem and Italian chefs, as well as, relative local partners, the program is as follows:
- Networking dinner:
Networking dinner reserved for Jordanian VIPs and entrepreneurs in the food sector, prepared by the future chefs from RACA (approx.25 students) to discover Italian excellence in ingredients and traditional recipes, under the guidance of chef Giancarlo Francia to present typical Italian and Tuscan dishes (80 guests).
Date: Monday 25 November - In collaboration with: Chef Giancarlo Francia
- Professional Academic Courses:
Two courses given by chef Lucio Forino to bring last year’s RACA students (30 students) closer to some of the most famous recipes of the Italian tradition.
The two courses represented traditional and modern Italian culinary culture at a professional level, the future chefs from RACA had the opportunity to learn about authentic Italian cuisine and its evolution.
- Modern Italian Master Class
- Pastry Modern Plating Techniques
Date: 21 and 22 November - In collaboration with: Chef Lucio Forino/Italian Chef Academy
A basic cooking course, under the motto #Vivereall’italiana, for the Jordanian students of Italian literature in the Erasmus project and the passionate students from Dante Institute. They experienced the Italian cuisine by discovering simple iconic dishes from the Italian tradition. The event took place at Meat/mussels restaurant in Amman, and includes a four-handed Live Cooking Show by Chef Giancarlo Francia and Chef Lucio Forino in which participants learned how to prepare simple dishes and about the principles of Italian gastronomy and the importance of using authentic Italian products. After the show, the participants enjoyed an authentic Italian lunch/tasting in company of their profs, university colleagues and Dante representatives.
It was an unforgettable vibrant event, as well as useful in terms of sculpting the cooking skills of everyone involved. It is worth mentioning, that the event was eye-opening on so many levels, from carefully choosing premium Italian ingredients to professionally putting them together and enjoying the delightful, mouthwatering taste.
Date: Saturday, 23 November - Participants: Students / Professors / Administrative - In collaboration with: Chef Giancarlo Francia and Chef Lucio Forino /Italian Chef Academy
- Public Workshop/Dinner:
Cooking classes with Chef Lucio Forino open to the public, organized by Beit-Sitti with the support of ITA Amman and Associazione Italiana Chef. The enthusiastic participants been introduced to authentic Italian products used in the iconic Italian dishes and they experimented how to make authentic Italian dishes, together with the Italian Ambassador and his wife.
Date: Wednesday 20 November - In collaboration with: Beit Sitti School e Chef Lucio Forino/Associazione Italiana Chef
- Workshop/Training at Mar Youssef Center:
Chef Forino and Chef Francia gave a special training at Mar Yousef Center, which has an Italian restaurant, and a variety of Italian dishes that include pizza, were prepared by Iraqi refugees.
Date: Wednesday 20 and 24 November - In collaboration with: Chef Giancarlo Francia and Chef Lucio Forino /Italian Chef Academy
- Courses/Lunch and dinner in Ramallah & Nablus:
ITA Amman took part also at the events in the Palestinian Territories supporting the training courses with Chef Michele Romito with Arab Women Union in Nablus and Women Association of the Melkite Church in Ramallah.
Date: Wednesday 17, 18, 19 & 20 November - In collaboration with: Chef Michele Romito
All participants received also special infographic illustrations of Italian food products commissioned for the occasion by ITA Amman.
Modern Italian Master Class
Pastry Modern Plating Techniques
Course/Lunch for Erasmus and Dante Students
Workshop/Training at Mar Youssef Center
Courses/Lunch and dinner in Ramallah & Nablus
Photos in Jordan by Mohammad Osama Ababneh
Recipes by Chef Forino and Chef Francia
These select recipes are part of the menus presented during the Networking Dinner, and the Course/Lunch for Erasmus and Dante Students.
Risotto dell'Argentario (Seafood Risotto from Argentario)
By Chef Giancarlo Francia
Ingredients (4 persons)
- 320 g Rice (Carnaroli)
- 200 g Mussels
- 200 g Clams
- 300 g Cuttlefish
- 120 g Small-medium Shrimp
- 120 g White fillet fish
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- One peeled onion
- Lemon juice (half lemon)
- Vegetable broth (Boiled water with celery, carrot & onion)
How to prepare:
- Add some olive oil in the saucepan, drop the onion (cut into cubes of about 3 mm or less), saute the onions, then add the cuttlefish cut into small cubes, and leave to cook while frequently stirring.
- When the cuttlefish is well cooked add the rice and leave until the mixture inside the pan is dry.
- At the same time use another saucepan, put a little olive oil, add the mussels, clams and mollusks (freshly shelled) with a smashed clove of garlic (optional), then put everything back in its cooking water.
- When the rice is well toasted, add the mussels, clams and mollusks with their sauce, then add a ladle of vegetable broth until the rice is cooked (make sure to keep stirring during the process to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan).
- Meanwhile, add each of the following ingredients on separate nonstick pans, with some olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper: the fish filet cut into cubes, and the shrimps.
- When the rice is almost done, add the filet fish first, at last add the shrimps, lemon juice and salt, to taste.
- The Risotto is ready to be served.
Classic Tiramisù Recipe
By Chef Lucio Forino
- 135 g Granulated sugar
- 100 g Water
- 250 g Egg yolk
- 500 g Mascarpone
- 500 g Cow milk pastry cream (fresh whipping cream)
- 8 Cups approx. of Espresso
- Cacao Powder
- Savoiardi/Lady finger
How to prepare:
- Syrup: put 100 (g) of water in a small pot, then add 135 (g) of sugar, and as soon they come to a boil add 150 (g) of egg yolks, mix and whip the mixture all together until it appears well whipped.
- Separately add 500 (g) of mascarpone and 500 (g) of pastry cream and mix well.
- Mix all the ingredients together well until you get a smooth cream.
- Prepare a lightly sweetened intense coffee (as espresso) for the dipping (put it in a container).
- How to prepare your serving dish/cup for the Tiramisù:
- Make a layer of coffee-dipped ladyfinger/Savoiardi.
- Add a layer of cream.
- Sprinkle cacao powder on top for decoration.
- Refrigerate at a temperature of 4 degrees.
ITA/ICE Amman | November 2019