Indonesia
INDONESIA BACKPEDALS ON PLAN TO HALT SUGAR IMPORTS
The government is putting off a plan announced late last year to temporarily halt importing sugar this year and will focus instead on improving agricultural infrastructure to boost domestic production, Coordinating Food Minister Zulkifli Hasan has said, adding that the reversal was based on an instruction from the President. He told reporters on the same day that the country would continue importing sugar amid concerns that a shortage could drive up domestic prices for the commodity. National Food Agency (Bapanas) head Arief Prasetyo Adi said on Feb. 17 that the government had opted to import sugar due to a rise in prices despite sufficient domestic production. The nation’s sugar reserves stood at 4.5 million tonnes while consumer demand for sugar reached 250,000 tonnes, said Arief, who estimated the reserves were enough only for the next five months.Source : https://www.thejakartapost.com/business/2025/02/27/indonesia-backpedals-on-plan-to-halt-sugar-imports.html (ICE GIACARTA)
Fonte notizia: The Jakarta Post, 27/02/2025
